We live in the information age. Whether you are an author, an academic, in business or a student, you need to communicate your message and the quality of that message is an important determinant in your success.
High quality writing looks professional. It is free of spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors and is consistent in style, language and presentation. If you lack skills in these areas, have the skills but not the time, or simply need a fresh, detached pair of eyes to proofread or edit your document, Punctual Proofreading can help!
My name is Nicola Barnett and I have worked in the publishing industry since 1997 after graduating with two degrees in history: a Master of Literature (with Distinction) and a Bachelor of Arts (with First Class Honours). I completed stringent in-house editing training, and I have professional editing experience in both the public and private sectors.
I proofread and edit a wide variety of work, including academic writing, journal and magazine articles, company annual reports and newsletters, business documents and university theses.
I have in-depth knowledge of punctuation and grammar and an extremely keen eye for the smallest of details. I am also efficient, dedicated and discreet, and I am a full member of the Society of Editors (Queensland).
- Proofread an academic text, Faith’s knowledge, for internationally respected philosopher and theologian Dr Paul Tyson.
- Proofread the 2013 Annual Report of Sedgman Ltd, an international engineering consultancy company with 800 employees worldwide.
- Proofread the Spring 2013 edition of King’s Counsel, the magazine of King & Co property consultants with a circulation of 13,000.
- Editorial work completed for Brisbane’s Child magazine published by Copeland Publishing, Sydney.
- Various doctoral and masters theses in a variety of disciplines, ranging from engineering and medical science to psychology and political science.
Why Choose Punctual Proofreading?
- Highly qualified and experienced editor.
- Rigorous proofreading and editing to meticulous standards.
- Your obligation-free quotation is based on your individual editorial requirements.
- Twenty-minute sample edit provided for all work over 3000 words.
- Competitive prices and great value for money.
- Fast turnaround for tight deadlines.
- Able to proofread and edit for both the Australian and American markets.
By the time you reach your final draft you have undoubtedly read your manuscript numerous times. In fact, you often re-read your work so much, and become so familiar with it, that you become ‘blind’ to its errors and flaws. You see what you expect to see and not what is actually there.
This is partly because we tend to read words as whole words and not letter by letter. Our brains also have the tendency to automatically substitute the word that makes the most sense: if we have sufficient letters, even in the wrong position, the brain can ‘recognise’ the word (Cognition & Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge, UK.)
Computer Checks are Insufficient
Spelling check programs are insufficient because in English thousands of words sound the same, but have different meanings (for example: there/their; your/you’re; principal/principle). A word can be spelt correctly, but used incorrectly.
Grammar checks also have limited use for they make no allowances for context, tone and the required level of formality.